Tooth Colored Fillings
Tooth Colored Fillings or Composite fillings have gained popularity over the years. So why tooth colored-composite fillings?
One can view tooth colored fillings as Cosmetic Dentistry, however they are more than that. They provide:
- –Mechanical improvements over silver fillings: Composites are chemically bonded to tooth structure leaving the tooth stronger to withstand chewing forces. With a bonded filling the tooth is then less prone to fractures and breakage which subsequently lead to a need for either a Crown or a Root Canal and possibly even an extraction-tooth loss.
- –Preservation of tooth structure: Less solid tooth structure is lost when placing composite fillings as compared to silver fillings.
- –Esthetic improvement over silver fillings: Instant improvement of one’s smile by replacing amalgams/silver fillings with composite fillings that look natural!
- –No Mercury ( a toxic substance contained in amalgam/silver fillings which were first introduced 150 years ago): most people do not want to risk possibility of any health hazards that may be associated with Mercury fillings that were introduced 150 yrs ago!
- –Research & Product enhancement: Most research and funds are spent on technological enhancements of composites and not amalgams.
The photo on the right depicts replacement of silver fillings by tooth colored composite fillings (arrows):
(two of the teeth with silver fillings on the right side of the photo needed crowns)
If you have Amalgam = Silver fillings on your teeth, the best thing you can do for yourself is to have them replaced with bonded tooth colored fillings.
Click an image to enlarge.
We serve Waukesha County: Pewaukee, Waukesha, Brookfield, Delafield, Hartland and Oconomowoc.